Tuesday 5 April 2011

I will vote 'Yes' on AV. Here's why...

To those who have read my more politically-charged blogs, and to those of you with whom I have casually discussed my distaste for the Alternative Vote, this might surprise you. In May, I will vote 'Yes'.

It's not because I believe AV is a fair, proportional system. I know that AV is only marginally less majoritarian than first past the post.

It's not in support of Nick Clegg. The Lib Dems have lost so much credibility under him that I would certainly rather knock him down than build him up.

It's not because I believe electoral reform is necessary. I do, but I don't consider AV a full reform. Nor, for that matter, does Mr Clegg. He who now champions AV once called it a "miserable little compromise".

So why will I vote 'Yes', when I fundamentally disagree with the value of the proposed system, the principles of those campaigning for it and the supposed impact it will have?

I will vote 'Yes' because a 'No' vote could be a chance missed. 'Yes' is a chance to damage David Cameron and the Tories, and to impose on them something they don't want.

It is not a good system and it won't get rid of Tory or Labour safe seats. I believe that larger, multi-member constituences with representation proportional according to the votes cast is a fairer way, and one that should be campaigned for in future.

I believe the UK needs to pass through the smokescreen of AV and in to the full fire of truly proportional voting to burn down the entrenched failure of UK politics.

Unfortunately, Clegg and Cameron have 'compromised' that there will be no box with my last two paragraphs attached, so I can't vote for that.

The choice is simple: Vote for AV or vote for first past the post, or abstain in silent protest. The first two may both be wrong, but the third will invariably fall on deaf ears.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5