Friday 8 April 2011

Daniel Levy agrees with me! Redknapp, shock-horror, does not...

Tottenham 'streamlining' may lead to Gareth Bale's departure - Est1892

Oh, look! As featured in today's Guardian, Spurs' interim financial statement shows they are over-dependant on their soon to be a distant memory Champions League revenue. If only someone could have predicted this bombshell, huh?

Not that I'm smug, of course. No, I feel sorry for the 'Arryphiles who thought he was their knight in shining armour.

I've been through similar myself, as a Boro fan. We achieved unprecedented glory (by our meagre standards) in the Carling and UEFA cups, and the club is still buggered now. Steve Gibson is an outstanding businessman, but that episode proves that even the savvy can stumble where football and glory are concerned.

In the last ten years we have had McClaren (opportunist), Southgate (altruist), Strachan (opportunist) and now Mowbray (altruist) so I can spot the difference a mile off, and I can see how they interact differently with the fans and chairman. One model is patter and promises, the other is hard work and no excuses. You work out which one 'Arry is, if you haven't already.

Anyway, back to Spurs. Compare and contrast these quotes:
Levy: "The squad has become unwieldy" , "we are operating with one of the largest squads in the league" , "this has eased our passage in to the Champions League, but it must be streamlined".

'Arry (in response to possible Bale sale): "But... Blub... I'm trying to build a team... Sob... It's not fair!"

Ok, I may have paraphrased a little, but you get my point. Don't you? Go on, there's no shame in admitting you are wrong. After all, your man Levy has spelled it out for you anyway. You were right about one thing - he clearly is no Peter Storrie and he will rein in the funds before it's too late.

I have a question for you, Spurs fans, as I am so ill-researched and pathetic that I clearly can't work this one out: 'ow long will 'Arry 'ang around once the "ambition" (ie. funds) 'as dried up?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5